My Greatest Fear

The whole auditorium is pitch black, except for the stage, illuminated by a single spotlight. I can feel my hands trembling as I lift them up to the piano keys. As you might have guessed it already, my greatest fear is performing.
        Whether it be speech, piano, or cello, I just cannot stand being in front of an audience. Hundreds of people watching my every move. Hundreds of people who might see me mess up and fail terribly. Not matter how much I prepare, there is still the slightest chance that I will forget the notes, that I will stumble over my words, and that kind of terrifies me. Although I understand that mistakes help everyone learn, and that everyone messes up (in my case, a whole lot), I can’t help hoping that my performance will be flawless, even though it obviously won’t.
        I may not be afraid of blood-thirsty insects, but put me in front of an audience and tell me to perform, and I will be frozen to the spot.

One thought on “My Greatest Fear

1. My heart goes out to you. I don’t share that fear, but your portrayal of what it is like for you makes me understand it.

You are brave to go out and perform anyway! Keep fighting that anxiety, and you will at least master it.