Week Five: A Memory and Media

Poké Ball

I still remember being holed up in my room, and playing Pokemon Diamond on my coral pink Nintendo DS Lite, for hours upon hours. Trying to catch legendary and rare Pokemon, defeating gym leaders and earring badges, filling up my Pokedex… My DS was definitely a large part of my childhood.     

I used to constantly play on my DS, 24/7. I played whenever I had even the tiniest bit of free time, even on the short car ride to my friend’s house (who, thankfully, was just as obsessed with Pokemon as I was.) The pixelated images, the colorful, imaginary creatures, I was just so drawn to the game. Whenever I played, I was completely oblivious to my surroundings, ignoring everything (including my parents, who were probably starting to regret buying the device for me.)

Although I long since grown out of this ‘Pokemon-phase’, rarely, when I have absolutely nothing to do, I crack open my DS, and revisit my favorite childhood toy.

Creative Commons License Photo Credit: Alex Eylar via Compfight

5 thoughts on “Week Five: A Memory and Media

1. Wow. That reminds me of my own childhood, right down to the Pokémon Diamond game. Only I could never catch the legendaries, and got so frustrated that I ran away from the battles. I like you way of writing.

2. Wow! I loved it, my younger brother is going though that phase too. I’m regretting get him that as his Christmas present. I really like your conclusion, it give the essay kind of a futuristic type of mood. Overall it was amazing.